Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize TabletsGeneric Name: Griseofulvin
Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets are used for:
Treating ringworm infections of the skin, hair, and nails. It is also used to treat athlete's foot and "barber's itch." It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets are an antifungal agent. It works by making the skin more resistant to fungal growth.
Do NOT use Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets
- you have liver failure or a blood disease (eg, porphyria)
- you are pregnant
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have liver disease or lupus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital) because they may decrease Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets's effectiveness
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) or oral contraceptives (birth control pills) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets:
Use Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets by mouth with or without food.
- Swallow Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets whole.
- You may also crush Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets and sprinkle it onto 1 tablespoonful of applesauce. Mix the medicine with the applesauce and swallow the mixture right away without chewing.
- To clear up your infection completely, take Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets for the full course of treatment. Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets.
Important safety information:
- Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Be sure to use Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The fungus could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are taking Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets.
- Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- It is important to practice good hygiene during and after use to prevent reinfection.
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) may not work as well while you are using Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets. To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms).
- Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 3 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets if you are pregnant. Avoid becoming pregnant while you are taking it. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. It is not known if Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets are found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; upset stomach.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); confusion; fever; flu-like symptoms (eg, headache, joint pain); sore throat; white patches in the mouth.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets:
Store Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Gris-PEG Ultramicrosize Tablets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.