Guiatuss AC LiquidGeneric Name: Codeine/Guaifenesin
Examples include Guiatuss AC and Tussi-Organidin NR
Guiatuss AC Liquid is used for:
Relieving cough and throat and airway irritation due to colds, flu, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Guiatuss AC Liquid is a cough suppressant and expectorant combination. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex to reduce a dry cough. The expectorant works by loosening mucus and lung secretions in the chest and making coughs more productive.
Do NOT use Guiatuss AC Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Guiatuss AC Liquid or any other codeine- or morphine-related medicine (eg, oxycodone)
- you have severe high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, or other severe heart problems (eg, heart blood vessel disease)
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Guiatuss AC Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Guiatuss AC Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to morphine, codeine, or any other opiate (eg, hydrocodone, dihydrocodeine, oxycodone)
- if you have a history of an enlarged prostate gland or other prostate problems, heart problems, kidney or liver problems, a blockage of your bowel or bladder, adrenal gland problems (eg, Addison disease), or an underactive thyroid
- if you have a history of stomach problems, bowel problems (eg, chronic inflammation or ulceration of the bowel), or gallbladder problems (eg, gallstones), or if you have had recent abdominal surgery
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic cough, lung problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
- if you have recently had any head injury, brain injury or tumor, increased pressure in the brain, infection of the brain or nervous system, epilepsy, or seizures
- if you have a history of alcohol abuse, drug abuse, or suicidal thoughts or behavior
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Guiatuss AC Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- HIV protease inhibitors (eg, ritonavir) because the risk of side effects from Guiatuss AC Liquid may be increased
- Cimetidine, digoxin, droxidopa, or sodium oxybate (GHB) because the risk of severe drowsiness, breathing problems, seizures, irregular heartbeat, or heart attack may be increased
- Naltrexone or quinidine because the effectiveness of Guiatuss AC Liquid may be decreased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Guiatuss AC Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Guiatuss AC Liquid:
Use Guiatuss AC Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Guiatuss AC Liquid by mouth with or without food.
- Drink plenty of water while taking Guiatuss AC Liquid.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Guiatuss AC Liquid, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Guiatuss AC Liquid.
Important safety information:
- Guiatuss AC Liquid may cause dizziness or drowsiness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Guiatuss AC Liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Guiatuss AC Liquid may interfere with certain lab test results. Make sure that your doctor and lab personnel know that you are taking Guiatuss AC Liquid.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Guiatuss AC Liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Guiatuss AC Liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Guiatuss AC Liquid in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Guiatuss AC Liquid should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Guiatuss AC Liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if Guiatuss AC Liquid is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Guiatuss AC Liquid.
Possible side effects of Guiatuss AC Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; tremor.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Guiatuss AC Liquid:
Store Guiatuss AC Liquid at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Guiatuss AC Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Guiatuss AC Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Guiatuss AC Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Guiatuss AC Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Guiatuss AC Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Brontex Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)