Keralyt Scalp ShampooGeneric Name: Salicylic Acid
(SAL-i-SIL-ik AS-id)Brand Name:
Keralyt Scalp Shampoo is used for:
Removing excess skin in certain conditions, including scaling associated with scalp psoriasis or corns and calluses. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Keralyt Scalp Shampoo is a topical salicylate. It works by causing the skin to swell, soften, and then slough or peel in areas where it is applied.
Do NOT use Keralyt Scalp Shampoo if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Keralyt Scalp Shampoo
- the patient is a child or teenager with the flu, chickenpox, or shingles
- the patient is younger than 2 years old
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Keralyt Scalp Shampoo:
Some medical conditions may interact with Keralyt Scalp Shampoo. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to aspirin or a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) (eg, ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib)
- if you have liver or kidney problems, a skin infection, skin irritation, diabetes, or poor blood circulation
- if you have a history of Reye syndrome
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Keralyt Scalp Shampoo. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Ammonium sulfate because it may increase the risk of Keralyt Scalp Shampoo's side effects
- Corticosteroids (eg, prednisone) because they may decrease Keralyt Scalp Shampoo's effectiveness
- Anticoagulants, (eg, heparin, warfarin), aspirin, methotrexate, or sulfonylureas (eg, glipizide) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Keralyt Scalp Shampoo
- Phenylbutazone, probenecid, pyrazinamide, or sulfinpyrazone because their effectiveness may be decreased by Keralyt Scalp Shampoo
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Keralyt Scalp Shampoo may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Keralyt Scalp Shampoo:
Use Keralyt Scalp Shampoo as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- To use shampoo as a scalp treatment: Use before bathing. Do not wet hair. Apply Keralyt Scalp Shampoo with the applicator directly to affected areas of the scalp. Leave on for 5 minutes, gradually increasing the treatment time up to 1 hour, or as directed by your doctor. After treatment, rinse thoroughly with water. Wash your hands after each use. You may use a non-medicated shampoo after using Keralyt Scalp Shampoo, if desired.
- To use shampoo as a medicated shampoo: Wet hair, apply Keralyt Scalp Shampoo with the applicator directly to scalp, and massage vigorously for several minutes. Rinse thoroughly. Be sure to wash your hands after each use. Use Keralyt Scalp Shampoo daily until the condition clears, or as directed by your doctor.
- To use the gel on the skin: Moisten the affected area and keep damp for at least 5 minutes before you apply Keralyt Scalp Shampoo. Apply Keralyt Scalp Shampoo to the affected area as directed. Cover the treated area at night unless your doctor tells you otherwise. If applying to an area that cannot be covered, check with your doctor for instructions. Wash Keralyt Scalp Shampoo off in the morning.
- To use gel as a scalp treatment: Apply Keralyt Scalp Shampoo with the applicator directly to affected areas of the scalp. Avoid contact with unaffected hair or skin. Leave the medicine on for 10 to 20 minutes initially, gradually increasing the treatment time to one hour, or as directed by your doctor. The gel may be washed off using the medicated shampoo or warm water in a bath or shower.
- Wash hands immediately after you use Keralyt Scalp Shampoo, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- If you miss a dose of Keralyt Scalp Shampoo, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Keralyt Scalp Shampoo.
Important safety information:
- Keralyt Scalp Shampoo is for external use only. Avoid getting Keralyt Scalp Shampoo in your eyes, nose, or mouth, or on the genitals. If contact with your eyes occurs, flush with water for 15 minutes. Do not inhale the vapors of Keralyt Scalp Shampoo.
- If you use topical products too often, your condition may become worse.
- Do NOT use Keralyt Scalp Shampoo longer or more often than recommended by your doctor or on the package label.
- Check with your doctor before use if you have a condition that covers a large area of the body.
- Be sure to apply Keralyt Scalp Shampoo only to the affected area and not to normal, healthy skin.
- Do not use Keralyt Scalp Shampoo on skin that is irritated, infected, or reddened.
- Do not use Keralyt Scalp Shampoo on open skin wounds, moles, birthmarks, genital warts, warts on the face, or warts growing hair.
- Do not use any other medicines or drying products on your skin unless your doctor instructs you otherwise.
- Keralyt Scalp Shampoo may interfere with certain lab tests. Make sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using Keralyt Scalp Shampoo.
- Keralyt Scalp Shampoo is extremely flammable. Do not store or use Keralyt Scalp Shampoo near a fire or other open flame.
- Keralyt Scalp Shampoo may be harmful if swallowed. If you may have taken Keralyt Scalp Shampoo by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- Keralyt Scalp Shampoo contains a salicylate, which has been linked to Reye syndrome. Do not use Keralyt Scalp Shampoo on children or teenagers during or after chickenpox, flu, or other viral infections without checking with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Keralyt Scalp Shampoo should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- Caution is advised when using Keralyt Scalp Shampoo in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Keralyt Scalp Shampoo while you are pregnant. It is not known if Keralyt Scalp Shampoo is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Keralyt Scalp Shampoo.
Possible side effects of Keralyt Scalp Shampoo:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dry, peeling, red, or scaling skin; mild burning or stinging at the application site.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe skin irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include agitation; diarrhea; dizziness; loss of appetite; loss of hearing; mental disturbances; nausea; rapid or difficult breathing; ringing in the ears; seizures; sluggishness; vomiting; yellowing of the skin or eyes.Proper storage of Keralyt Scalp Shampoo:
Store Keralyt Scalp Shampoo at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Keralyt Scalp Shampoo out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Keralyt Scalp Shampoo, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Keralyt Scalp Shampoo is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Keralyt Scalp Shampoo. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Keralyt Scalp Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Compound W Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)