Mupirocin CreamGeneric Name:
Mupirocin (myoo-PEER-oh-sin)Brand Name:
Mupirocin Cream is used for:
Treating skin infections. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Mupirocin Cream is an antibacterial. It works by stopping the production of essential proteins needed by the bacteria to survive.
Do NOT use Mupirocin Cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Mupirocin Cream
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Mupirocin Cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with Mupirocin Cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are treating a burn or open wound
- if you have kidney problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Mupirocin Cream. However, no specific interactions with Mupirocin Cream are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Mupirocin Cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Mupirocin Cream:
Use Mupirocin Cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wash and completely dry the affected area. Apply a small amount of medicine to the area to be treated. Gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed.
- The affected area may be covered with gauze or a bandage.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Mupirocin Cream for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Mupirocin Cream.
- If you miss a dose of Mupirocin Cream, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Mupirocin Cream.
Important safety information:
- Mupirocin Cream is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Use Mupirocin Cream with caution on skin with open wounds.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 3 to 5 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Be sure to use Mupirocin Cream for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Mupirocin Cream may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Mupirocin Cream should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 3 months old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Mupirocin Cream while you are pregnant. It is not known if Mupirocin Cream is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Mupirocin Cream, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Mupirocin Cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Burning; headache; nausea; stinging.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe irritation; severe itching.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Mupirocin Cream:
Store Mupirocin Cream at or below 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Mupirocin Cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Mupirocin Cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Mupirocin Cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Mupirocin Cream. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Bactroban Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Bactroban Consumer Overview
- Bactroban Nasal Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Centany Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Centany Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information