Neo-Fradin SolutionGeneric Name: Neomycin
Neo-Fradin Solution may cause permanent hearing loss, nerve damage, and severe kidney damage. Hearing loss can occur even after the drug is stopped. If you already have kidney problems or hearing difficulty, tell your doctor. Notify your doctor immediately if any of the following occur: ringing in your ears, hearing loss, unusual tingling, muscle twitching, seizures. Neo-Fradin Solution may be stopped if you develop kidney or hearing problems. Your doctor will monitor your progress to minimize the possibility of these effects occurring and may run certain tests (eg, hearing and/or kidney tests). Do not use Neo-Fradin Solution with other medicines that can cause nerve, kidney, or hearing problems. Other factors that increase the risk of these side effects occurring include advanced age or dehydration (unusual thirst).
Neo-Fradin Solution may also cause severe muscle relaxation progressing to paralysis and breathing problems. This possibility increases if you are also taking anesthetics, neuromuscular-blocking agents (eg, succinylcholine), or if you are receiving massive transfusions of citrate anticoagulated blood. Use with other aminoglycosides (eg, paromomycin) or other nephrotoxic/neurotoxic medicines (eg, bacitracin), advanced age, and dehydration all increase the risk of side effects. Potent diuretics (eg, ethacrynic acid, furosemide) should also be avoided because they can cause hearing loss.
Neo-Fradin Solution is used for:
Reducing bacteria in the intestines. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Neo-Fradin Solution is an aminoglycoside antibiotic. It kills sensitive bacteria by stopping the production of essential proteins needed by the bacteria to survive.
Do NOT use Neo-Fradin Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Neo-Fradin Solution or to any other aminoglycosides (eg, gentamicin)
- you are taking fludarabine, nondepolarizing muscle relaxants (eg, vecuronium), or penicillin
- you have intestinal obstruction, ulcers of the bowel, or inflammatory bowel or stomach disease
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Neo-Fradin Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Neo-Fradin Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diarrhea, a stomach infection, nerve damage, muscle weakness, Parkinson disease, kidney problems, or are dehydrated
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Neo-Fradin Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Penicillin because it may decrease Neo-Fradin Solution's effectiveness
- Cephalosporins (eg, cephalexin), cyclosporine, fludarabine, loop diuretics (eg, furosemide), methoxyflurane, or nitrosoureas (eg, carmustine) because the risk of side effects such as kidney damage and hearing loss may be increased
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), digoxin, loop diuretics (eg, furosemide), methotrexate, methoxyflurane, nondepolarizing muscle relaxants (eg, vecuronium), polypeptide antibiotics (eg, actinomycin), succinylcholine, or vancomycin because their actions and the risk of their side effects may be increased by Neo-Fradin Solution
- Digoxin or methotrexate because their effectiveness may be decreased by Neo-Fradin Solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Neo-Fradin Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Neo-Fradin Solution:
Use Neo-Fradin Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Neo-Fradin Solution by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take Neo-Fradin Solution with plenty of water to avoid dehydration.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Take Neo-Fradin Solution on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Neo-Fradin Solution for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Neo-Fradin Solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once. If more than one dose is missed, contact your health care provider.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Neo-Fradin Solution.
Important safety information:
- Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- Be sure to use Neo-Fradin Solution for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Neo-Fradin Solution only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Long-term or repeated use of Neo-Fradin Solution may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Lab tests, including hearing tests, may be performed while you use Neo-Fradin Solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Neo-Fradin Solution should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 months old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Neo-Fradin Solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if Neo-Fradin Solution is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Neo-Fradin Solution.
Possible side effects of Neo-Fradin Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; nausea.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody stools; dizziness; hearing loss; muscle twitching; ringing in ears; seizures; skin tingling or numbness; vaginal irritation or discharge; stomach pain/cramps.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include change in urination frequency or amount of urine.Proper storage of Neo-Fradin Solution:
Store Neo-Fradin Solution at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Neo-Fradin Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Neo-Fradin Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Neo-Fradin Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Neo-Fradin Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Neo-Fradin Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Neo-Fradin Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Neo-Fradin Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information