PediaPred LiquidGeneric Name: Prednisolone Sodium Phosphate
(pred-NIS-oh-lone SO-dee-uhm FOSS-fate)Brand Name:
PediaPred Liquid is used for:
Treating severe allergies, arthritis, asthma, certain blood disorders, and skin conditions. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
PediaPred Liquid is a corticosteroid. It works by modifying the body's immune response to various conditions and decreasing inflammation.
Do NOT use PediaPred Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in PediaPred Liquid
- you have a systemic fungal infection, a certain type of malaria, inflammation of the optic nerve, or herpes infection of the eye
- you are scheduled to have a live or attenuated live vaccination (eg, smallpox)
- you are taking mifepristone
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using PediaPred Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with PediaPred Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of heart problems (eg, congestive heart failure), heart attack, high blood pressure, kidney problems, liver problems, diabetes, seizures, an underactive thyroid, adrenal gland problems, or any mental or mood problems
- if you have or have recently had a fungal, bacterial, viral, or other type of infection; herpes infection of the eye; chickenpox; measles; or shingles
- if you have HIV infection or tuberculosis (TB) infection, or you have had ever had a positive TB skin test
- if you have any stomach problems (eg, ulcers), intestinal problems (eg, blockage, perforation, or infection; unexplained diarrhea; diverticulitis; ulcerative colitis), recent intestinal surgery, or inflammation of the esophagus
- if you have weak bones (eg, osteoporosis) or muscle problems (eg, myasthenia gravis)
- if you have had a recent vaccination (eg, smallpox)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with PediaPred Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), carbamazepine, ephedrine, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), or rifampin because they may decrease PediaPred Liquid's effectiveness
- Clarithromycin, cyclosporine, estrogens (eg, estradiol), ketoconazole, or oral contraceptives (eg, birth control pills) because they may increase the risk of PediaPred Liquid's side effects
- Anticholinesterases (eg, pyridostigmine), aspirin, diuretics, furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide, live or attenuated live vaccines, methotrexate, mifepristone, or ritodrine because the risk of their side effects may be increased by PediaPred Liquid
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) or killed or inactivated vaccines because their effectiveness may be decreased by PediaPred Liquid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if PediaPred Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use PediaPred Liquid:
Use PediaPred Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take PediaPred Liquid by mouth with food.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of PediaPred Liquid and you are taking 1 dose daily, take it as soon as possible. If you do not remember until the next day, skip the missed dose. Go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use PediaPred Liquid.
Important safety information:
- PediaPred Liquid may lower the ability of your body to fight infection. Avoid contact with people who have colds or infections. Tell your doctor if you notice signs of infection like fever, sore throat, rash, or chills.
- If you have not had chickenpox, shingles, or measles, avoid contact with anyone who does.
- Report to your doctor any injuries or signs of infection (fever, sore throat, pain during urination, or muscle aches) for up to 12 months after stopping PediaPred Liquid.
- Carry an ID card at all times that says you take PediaPred Liquid.
- Do not receive a live vaccine (eg, measles, mumps) while you are taking PediaPred Liquid. Talk with your doctor before you receive any vaccine.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take PediaPred Liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Diabetes patients - PediaPred Liquid may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Lab tests, including adrenal function tests, may be performed while you use PediaPred Liquid. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Caution is advised when using PediaPred Liquid in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they take PediaPred Liquid.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using PediaPred Liquid while you are pregnant. PediaPred Liquid is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use PediaPred Liquid, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
If you are on long-term or high dosage therapy and you suddenly stop taking PediaPred Liquid, you may have WITHDRAWAL symptoms, including fever, vomiting, appetite loss, diarrhea, nausea, dizziness, weight loss, weakness, general body discomfort, or joint or muscle pain.
Possible side effects of PediaPred Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Acne; clumsiness; dizziness; facial flushing; feeling of a whirling motion; general body discomfort; headache; increased appetite; increased sweating; nausea; nervousness; sleeplessness; upset stomach.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; changes in body fat; changes in menstrual period; changes in skin color; chest pain; easy bruising or bleeding; infection (eg, fever, chills, sore throat); mental or mood changes (eg, depression); muscle pain, weakness, or wasting; seizures; severe nausea or vomiting; sudden severe dizziness or headache; swelling of feet or legs; tendon or bone pain; thinning of skin; unusual skin sensation; unusual weight gain; vision changes or other eye problems; vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
Esta no es una lista completa de todos los efectos secundarios que se pueden presentar. Si tiene dudas acerca de los efectos secundarios, consulte a su profesional del cuidado de la salud. Llame a su mÃ©dico para obtener asesoramiento sobre los efectos secundarios. Puede informar los efectos secundarios a la FDA al 1-800-FDA-1088. TambiÃ©n puede informarlos al http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of PediaPred Liquid:
Store PediaPred Liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 to 25 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep PediaPred Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about PediaPred Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- PediaPred Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about PediaPred Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Flo-Pred Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Flo-Pred Consumer Overview
- Orapred Consumer Overview
- Orapred ODT Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Pediapred Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Prednisolone tablets Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Prednisolone Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)