Vibativ Generic Name: Telavancin
Pregnant women should usually not use Vibativ . Women who may become pregnant must have a negative pregnancy test before starting Vibativ . They must also use effective birth control while they use Vibativ . Talk with your doctor for more information.
Vibativ is used for:
Treating serious skin infections caused by certain bacteria. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Vibativ is an antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria.
Do NOT use Vibativ if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Vibativ
- you have certain heart problems (eg, congenital long QT syndrome, QT interval prolongation, heart failure, severe left ventricular hypertrophy)
- you are pregnant
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Vibativ :
Some medical conditions may interact with Vibativ . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diarrhea, bloody stools, stomach cramps, or a fever
- if you have a history of high blood pressure, kidney problems, diabetes, heart disease or heart problems, or a family history of certain heart problems (eg, prolonged QT interval)
- if you are taking a blood thinner or medicine to control your heart rate or rhythm (eg, antiarrhythmics)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Vibativ . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Certain blood pressure medicines (eg, angiotensin-converting enzyme [ACE] inhibitors, angiotensin receptor blockers [ARBs]), diuretics (eg, furosemide), or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen, aspirin) because the risk of kidney problems may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Vibativ may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Vibativ :
Use Vibativ as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Vibativ comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get Vibativ refilled.
- Vibativ is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Vibativ at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Vibativ . Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Vibativ for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Continue to use Vibativ even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Vibativ , contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Vibativ .
Important safety information:
- Vibativ may cause dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Vibativ with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Vibativ only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Be sure to use Vibativ for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Vibativ may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Mild diarrhea is common with antibiotic use. However, a more serious form of diarrhea (pseudomembranous colitis) may rarely occur. This may develop while you use the antibiotic or within several months after you stop using it. Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- Vibativ may interfere with certain lab tests, including coagulation tests and urine protein tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using Vibativ .
- Lab tests, including kidney function, may be performed while you use Vibativ . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Vibativ with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially kidney problems.
- Vibativ should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 18 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Vibativ may cause harm to the fetus. Avoid becoming pregnant while you are taking it. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. It is not known if Vibativ is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Vibativ , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Vibativ :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; dizziness; foamy urine; headache; loss of appetite; metallic or soapy taste in the mouth; mild diarrhea; mild pain or redness at the injection site; nausea; taste changes; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody or watery stools; fainting; fast or irregular heart beat; fever; flushing of the skin; severe or persistent diarrhea; stomach cramps.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center ( http://www.aapcc.org/DNN/), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Vibativ :
Vibativ is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Vibativ at home, store Vibativ as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider.
- If you have any questions about Vibativ , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vibativ is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Vibativ . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vibativ Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Vibativ Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Telavancin Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Vibativ Consumer Overview