Vitelle Irospan Generic Name: Ferrous Sulfate/Vitamin C
(FER-us SULL-fate)Brand Name:
Accidental overdose of iron-containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. Keep this product out of the reach of children. In case of accidental overdose, call a doctor or poison control center immediately.
Vitelle Irospan is used for:
Preventing or treating low levels of iron in the blood. It also may be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Vitelle Irospan is a vitamin mineral combination. It works by replacing iron in your body if your body does not produce enough on its own. The vitamin C helps improve the absorption of iron in the stomach.
Do NOT use Vitelle Irospan if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Vitelle Irospan
- you have high levels of iron in your blood
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Vitelle Irospan :
Some medical conditions may interact with Vitelle Irospan . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have inflammation of the intestines, Crohn disease, digestive problems, ulcers, anemia, or a blood disease (eg, porphyria, thalassemia)
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
- if you have sickle cell disease or glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Vitelle Irospan . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Doxycycline, mycophenolate, penicillamine, or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Vitelle Irospan
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Vitelle Irospan may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Vitelle Irospan :
Use Vitelle Irospan as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Vitelle Irospan by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Swallow Vitelle Irospan whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- Take Vitelle Irospan with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL). Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking Vitelle Irospan .
- If you are also taking a bisphosphonate (eg, alendronate), cephalosporin (eg, cephalexin), methyldopa, penicillamine, quinolone (eg, ciprofloxacin), or tetracycline (eg, minocycline) along with Vitelle Irospan , you may need to space the doses several hours apart. Ask your doctor or pharmacist how much time is needed between doses of Vitelle Irospan and your other medicines.
- Do not take Vitelle Irospan within 1 hour before or 2 hours after antacids, eggs, whole grain breads or cereal, milk, milk products, coffee, or tea.
- If you miss a dose of Vitelle Irospan , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Vitelle Irospan .
Important safety information:
- Do not take large doses of vitamins while you use Vitelle Irospan unless your doctor tells you to.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or take for longer than 6 months without checking with your doctor.
- Vitelle Irospan has iron in it. Iron overdose is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. In case of an overdose, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Diabetes patients - Vitelle Irospan may cause the results of some tests for urine glucose to be wrong. Ask your doctor before you change your diet or the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Lab tests, including complete blood cell counts and blood iron levels, may be performed while you use Vitelle Irospan . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Vitelle Irospan should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Vitelle Irospan while you are pregnant. Vitelle Irospan is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Vitelle Irospan , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Vitelle Irospan :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; darkened or green stools; diarrhea; nausea; stomach upset.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; blood or streaks of blood in the stool; fever; vomiting with continuing sharp stomach pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include loss of consciousness; difficulty breathing; seizures; severe nausea; stomach pain; tarry stools; unusual tiredness; vomiting; weak, fast heartbeat.Proper storage of Vitelle Irospan :
Store Vitelle Irospan at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Vitelle Irospan out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Vitelle Irospan , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vitelle Irospan is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Vitelle Irospan . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.