Zilactin L LiquidGeneric Name: Lidocaine
Examples include Bactine and Zilactin L
Zilactin L Liquid is used for:
Temporarily relieving pain caused by cold sores/fever blisters. It may also be used at the first sign of tingling, itching, or burning to treat cold sores before they develop.
Zilactin L Liquid is an anesthetic. It works by preventing nerves from transmitting painful impulses to the brain.
Do NOT use Zilactin L Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Zilactin L Liquid or other similar medicines (eg, amide-type medicines)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Zilactin L Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Zilactin L Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a blood infection or severe injury of the mouth or throat
- if you have heart, liver, or kidney problems
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to any anesthetic medicine
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Zilactin L Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Amiodarone, beta-adrenergic blockers (eg, metoprolol), cimetidine, or mexiletine because side effects, such as confusion, dizziness, lightheadedness or tiredness, may occur
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Zilactin L Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Zilactin L Liquid:
Use Zilactin L Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Moisten a cotton swab with several drops of Zilactin L Liquid. Apply to affected area and allow to dry for 15 seconds.
- Do not get Zilactin L Liquid in your eyes.
- If you miss a dose of Zilactin L Liquid, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Zilactin L Liquid.
Important safety information:
- Zilactin L Liquid may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Zilactin L Liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Zilactin L Liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Zilactin L Liquid may make it difficult for you to swallow. Do not eat anything for at least 1 hour after Zilactin L Liquid has been applied in the mouth or throat area.
- Numbness of the tongue may cause you to bite the inside of your mouth accidentally. Do not eat any food or chew gum while your mouth or throat area is numb.
- Zilactin L Liquid may cause a numbing effect at the application site. Do not scratch, rub, or expose the area to extreme hot or cold temperature until the numbness is gone.
- Do not use more medicine, apply it more often, or use it for longer than prescribed. Your condition will not improve faster, but the risk of side effects may be increased.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Zilactin L Liquid should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Zilactin L Liquid can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Zilactin L Liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if Zilactin L Liquid is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Zilactin L Liquid, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Zilactin L Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Redness or swelling at the application site.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); choking; confusion; dizziness or lightheadedness; fast breathing; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fever; mood or mental changes; ringing in the ears or hearing changes; seizures; shortness of breath; swelling of the throat; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include apprehension; blurred vision; confusion; difficulty breathing; nervousness; ringing in the ears; seizures; sensations of heat, cold, or numbness; severe dizziness, drowsiness, or lightheadedness; slow or irregular heartbeat; tremor; twitching; unconsciousness; vomiting.Proper storage of Zilactin L Liquid:
Store Zilactin L Liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Zilactin L Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Zilactin L Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Zilactin L Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Zilactin L Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.