Daunorubicin Liposomal Generic Name:
Daunorubicin Liposomal (daw-noe-ROO-bi-sin)Brand Name:
Daunorubicin Liposomal may cause heart problems, including heart failure, or bone marrow depression, making it hard to fight off infection. Notify your doctor immediately if you develop chest pain, an irregular heartbeat, trouble breathing, swelling of the hands or feet, easy bruising or bleeding, or signs of infection, such as fever, unusual fatigue, or persistent sore throat. Tell your doctor if you have liver problems or heart problems, or have had chest x-rays before starting treatment with Daunorubicin Liposomal . You may require smaller doses of Daunorubicin Liposomal or different treatment. Daunorubicin Liposomal can cause a reaction including back pain, flushing, and chest tightness. Notify your doctor immediately if you experience any of these symptoms.
Daunorubicin Liposomal is used for:
Treating advanced AIDS-related Kaposi sarcoma. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Daunorubicin Liposomal is a cytotoxic agent. It works by preventing the cancer cell from reproducing, which results in death of the cancer cell.
Do NOT use Daunorubicin Liposomal if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Daunorubicin Liposomal
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Daunorubicin Liposomal :
Some medical conditions may interact with Daunorubicin Liposomal . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have bone marrow depression, heart disease, gout, or liver or kidney problems, or if you have taken Daunorubicin Liposomal before
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Daunorubicin Liposomal . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Certain medicines that act upon the liver (eg, methotrexate) or cyclosporine because the actions and side effects of Daunorubicin Liposomal may be increased
- Trastuzumab because the risk of heart problems may be increased
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the effectiveness may be decreased and the risk of seizures may be increased by Daunorubicin Liposomal
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Daunorubicin Liposomal may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Daunorubicin Liposomal :
Use Daunorubicin Liposomal as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Daunorubicin Liposomal is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic.
- If Daunorubicin Liposomal contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain local regulations for proper disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Daunorubicin Liposomal , contact your doctor as soon as possible.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Daunorubicin Liposomal .
Important safety information:
- Daunorubicin Liposomal may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or tiredness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Daunorubicin Liposomal . Using Daunorubicin Liposomal alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- If nausea, vomiting, or loss of appetite occurs, ask your doctor or pharmacist for ways to lessen these effects.
- If you get Daunorubicin Liposomal on your skin, wash thoroughly with soap and water.
- Daunorubicin Liposomal may lower your body's ability to fight infection. Prevent infection by avoiding contact with people with colds or other infections. Notify your doctor of any signs of infection, including fever, sore throat, rash, or chills.
- Daunorubicin Liposomal may reduce the number of clot-forming cells (platelets) in your blood. To prevent bleeding, avoid situations in which bruising or injury may occur. Report any unusual bleeding, bruising, blood in stools, or dark, tarry stools to your doctor.
- Daunorubicin Liposomal causes the urine to turn red. This is harmless and not a cause for concern.
- Check with your doctor before having vaccinations while you are using Daunorubicin Liposomal .
- LAB TESTS, including blood cell counts and heart and liver function tests, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Daunorubicin Liposomal with caution in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects, such as heart problems.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Daunorubicin Liposomal may cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Daunorubicin Liposomal during pregnancy. It is unknown if Daunorubicin Liposomal is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Daunorubicin Liposomal .
Possible side effects of Daunorubicin Liposomal :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; hair loss; loss of appetite; mouth pain; nausea; sore throat; stomach pain; tiredness; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); back pain; black, tarry stools; blood in the stools; chest pain; chills; cough or sore throat; excessive bleeding; fever; flushing; irregular heartbeat; pain, redness, or swelling at the injection site; shortness of breath; sores on the mouth or lips; unusual bruising or bleeding.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include nausea; tiredness; vomiting.Proper storage of Daunorubicin Liposomal :
Daunorubicin Liposomal is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Daunorubicin Liposomal at home, store Daunorubicin Liposomal as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Daunorubicin Liposomal out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Daunorubicin Liposomal , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Daunorubicin Liposomal is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Daunorubicin Liposomal . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- DaunoXome Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Daunoxome Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- daunorubicin liposomal Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)