Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil Generic Name: Fluocinolone
Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil and Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil
Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil is used for:
Treating certain inflammatory conditions of the skin. The body oil is used to treat inflammation of the skin. The scalp oil is used to treat psoriasis of the scalp. Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil is a topical corticosteroid. Exactly how it works is unknown.
Do NOT use Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil :
Some medical conditions may interact with Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are allergic to peanuts
- if you have measles, chickenpox, or tuberculosis
- if you have hardening or thinning of the skin, or a skin infection
- if you have recently been vaccinated or you have had a positive tuberculin skin test
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil . Because little, if any, of Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil :
Use Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- To use the body oil in adults: Apply a thin layer of Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil to the affected area 3 times a day or as directed by your doctor.
- To use the body oil in children: Moisten the affected area, and then apply a thin layer of Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil twice a day for up to 4 weeks or as directed by your doctor.
- To use the scalp oil: Wet or dampen hair and scalp thoroughly, and then apply a thin layer of Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil to the scalp. Massage the scalp well, and then cover the scalp with 1 of the shower caps provided. Leave the medicine on overnight or for a minimum of 4 hours before you wash it off of the scalp. Wash your hair with regular shampoo and rinse it thoroughly.
- Wash your hands after applying Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil , unless your hands are part of treated area.
- If you miss a dose of Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil , use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil .
Important safety information:
- Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes. If you get Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil in your eyes, wash them right away with water.
- Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil contains refined peanut oil. However, Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil has not been known to cause an allergic reaction in patients who have a peanut allergy. If you are allergic to peanuts and have questions about using Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil , check with your doctor.
- If your condition does not improve within 2 weeks or if it gets worse, contact your doctor.
- Do not use Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil on the face, under the arms, or on the groin unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil has a corticosteroid in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a corticosteroid in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Do not use Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil for any conditions other than the one for which it was prescribed.
- Check with your doctor before having vaccinations while using Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil .
- Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil is not approved to treat diaper rash. Do not apply Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil to the diaper area of a child.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil .
- The body oil should not be used in children younger than 3 months old. The scalp oil should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old. Safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil while you are pregnant. It is not known if Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with the scalp oil after topical use. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Cough; lightening of the skin; mild fever; nose or throat inflammation; runny nose.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); acne-like rash; excessive hair growth; inflamed hair follicles; inflammation around the mouth; irritation, burning, redness, or swelling not present before using Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil ; thinning, softening, or discoloration of the skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include increased thirst or urination; muscle weakness; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.Proper storage of Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil :
Store Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.