Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin ElixirGeneric Name:
Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin (DEX-troe-meth-OR-fan/gwye-FEN-e-sin)Brand Name:
Examples include Guaifenesin DM and Tussi-Organidin-DM
Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir is used for:
Temporarily relieving cough due to the common cold, upper respiratory tract infections, sinus inflammation, sore throat, or bronchitis.
Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir is a combination of an expectorant (guaifenesin) and a cough suppressant (dextromethorphan). It works by loosening mucus and lung secretions in the chest and making coughs more productive.
Do NOT use Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir
- you are taking or have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, selegiline) within the last 14 days
- you are taking a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) (eg, fluoxetine)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir:
Some medical conditions may interact with Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir. Tell your health care provider if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have chronic cough, chronic bronchitis, or any breathing problems, such as asthma, emphysema, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- MAOIs (eg, selegiline) and SSRIs (eg, fluoxetine) because the risk of toxic side effects may be increased by Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir:
Use Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure this dose.
- To help Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir work, drink plenty of extra fluids while taking Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir, unless your health care provider instructed otherwise.
- If you miss a dose of Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose. Go back to your regular dosing schedule.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir.
Important safety information:
- Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir may cause drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, or lightheadedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- If your cough lasts for more than 1 week or comes back, or if you also have a fever, rash, or persistent headache, contact your health care provider. A persistent cough could be a sign of a serious condition.
- Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir has dextromethorphan in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has dextromethorphan in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Diabetes patients - Some brands of Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir may contain sugar. This may affect your blood sugar level. Read the label carefully before using Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir.
- Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir while you are pregnant. It is not known if Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir.
Possible side effects of Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; drowsiness; stomach upset.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; excitement; hallucinations; slowed breathing.Proper storage of Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir:
Store Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Elixir. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.