Endal CD SyrupGeneric Name: Codeine/Diphenhydramine/Phenylephrine
Endal CD Syrup is used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion, runny nose, sneezing, and cough caused by colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Endal CD Syrup is a decongestant, antihistamine, and cough suppressant combination. It works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex to reduce a dry cough.
Do NOT use Endal CD Syrup if:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Endal CD Syrup
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, severe heart problems, stomach ulcer, narrow-angle glaucoma, or difficulty urinating, or you are having an asthma attack
- you take sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Endal CD Syrup:
Some medical conditions may interact with Endal CD Syrup. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a recent head injury, severe drowsiness, brain tumor or lesion, or increased pressure in the brain
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor); heart problems (eg, heart disease); fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; high or low blood pressure; liver problems; low blood volume; diabetes; blood vessel problems; stroke; glaucoma or increased pressure in the eye; a blockage of your stomach, bladder, or intestines; recent stomach or bowel surgery or other stomach or bowel problems (eg, constipation, diarrhea caused by antibiotic use, inflammation, ulcers); trouble urinating; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; seizures; mental or mood problems (eg, depression); pancreas problems (eg, pancreatitis); or an overactive thyroid
- if you have a history of asthma, sleep apnea, or other breathing problems (eg, slow or irregular breathing), chronic cough, lung problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
- if you have a history of alcohol abuse, drug abuse, or suicidal thoughts or behavior; or if you are in poor health or are very overweight
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Endal CD Syrup. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticholinergics (eg, scopolamine) because a serious bowel problem (paralytic ileus) may occur
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), cimetidine, furazolidone, HIV protease inhibitors (eg, ritonavir), MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), muscle relaxants (eg, cyclobenzaprine), opioid analgesics (eg, hydrocodone), phenothiazines (eg, chlorpromazine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Endal CD Syrup's side effects
- Naltrexone, quinidine, or rifamycins (eg, rifampin) because they may decrease Endal CD Syrup's effectiveness
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Endal CD Syrup
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Endal CD Syrup
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Endal CD Syrup may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Endal CD Syrup:
Use Endal CD Syrup as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Endal CD Syrup by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take Endal CD Syrup with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Drink plenty of water while taking Endal CD Syrup.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Endal CD Syrup, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Endal CD Syrup.
Important safety information:
- Endal CD Syrup may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Endal CD Syrup with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Endal CD Syrup may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Endal CD Syrup; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you take Endal CD Syrup without checking with your doctor.
- Endal CD Syrup has codeine, phenylephrine, and diphenhydramine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has codeine, phenylephrine, or diphenhydramine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not use Endal CD Syrup for a cough with a lot of mucus. Do not use it for a long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Endal CD Syrup may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Endal CD Syrup. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Endal CD Syrup may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Endal CD Syrup for a few days before the tests.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Endal CD Syrup before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Endal CD Syrup with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Endal CD Syrup in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- Endal CD Syrup should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Endal CD Syrup can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Endal CD Syrup while you are pregnant. It is not known if Endal CD Syrup is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Endal CD Syrup.
Some people who use Endal CD Syrup for a long time may develop a need to continue taking it. People who take high doses are also at risk. This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction.
If you stop taking Endal CD Syrup suddenly, you may have WITHDRAWAL symptoms. These may include anxiety, irregular heartbeat, irritability, restlessness, trouble sleeping, and unusual sweating.
Possible side effects of Endal CD Syrup:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); confusion; difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; mental or mood changes (eg, irritability); persistent trouble sleeping; restlessness; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; tremor; vision changes or blurred vision.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; cold and clammy skin; coma; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Endal CD Syrup:
Store Endal CD Syrup at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Endal CD Syrup out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Endal CD Syrup, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Endal CD Syrup is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Endal CD Syrup. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Endal CD Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)