Enfalyte SolutionGeneric Name:
Electrolyte (e-LECK-troe-lite)Brand Name:
Examples include Enfalyte and Pedialyte Freezer Pops
Enfalyte Solution is used for:
Treating or preventing dehydration caused by vomiting or diarrhea. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Enfalyte Solution is a carbohydrate and electrolyte combination. It works by replacing electrolytes and carbohydrates in the body to prevent dehydration.
Do NOT use Enfalyte Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Enfalyte Solution
- you have high blood potassium levels
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Enfalyte Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Enfalyte Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart failure, fluid retention (eg, swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet), intestinal holes or punctures, difficulty urinating, kidney problems, or unexplained rectal bleeding
- if you have severe or persistent vomiting, or severe diarrhea
- if you are unable to properly absorb glucose from food or you are dehydrated
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Enfalyte Solution. However, no specific interactions with Enfalyte Solution are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Enfalyte Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Enfalyte Solution:
Use Enfalyte Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Enfalyte Solution by mouth with or without food.
- Do not mix Enfalyte Solution with water or any other liquid.
- Do not heat Enfalyte Solution.
- If you are using a product that contains multiple doses of Enfalyte Solution, replace the cap after opening and refrigerate. Read the product labeling to see how long this product can be used after opening before it must be thrown away.
- If you are using a product intended only for a single use of Enfalyte Solution, discard the container and any unused portion of medicine immediately after the first use.
- If you are using a product with an attached straw, hold the container gently when snipping off the cap on the attached straw. Holding the container tightly may cause the liquid to spray out. Discard the container and any unused portion of medicine immediately after the first use.
- If you are using a freezer-pop product, it may be frozen and then eaten as a freezer-pop, or the contents of one unfrozen sleeve may be poured into a cup or glass to drink. Immediately throw away any unused portion of the opened medicine.
- If you are using a jell cup, refrigerate it after opening. Throw away any medicine not used within 72 hours.
- Do not reuse the container.
- If you miss a dose of Enfalyte Solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Enfalyte Solution.
Important safety information:
- If vomiting, fever, stomach pain or bloating, or diarrhea that lasts longer than 24 hours occurs, check with your doctor.
- Some of these products contain phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
- Do not use Enfalyte Solution in CHILDREN younger than 1 year old without first checking with your doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Enfalyte Solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if Enfalyte Solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Enfalyte Solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Enfalyte Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Enfalyte Solution:
Before opening, store Enfalyte Solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom.
Multiple use products and jell cups - After opening, store Enfalyte Solution in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze. Do not store for longer than recommended on the product label.
Freezer-pop products - May be stored frozen or at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom.
Keep Enfalyte Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Enfalyte Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Enfalyte Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Enfalyte Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.