Pepcid AC Generic Name: Famotidine
Examples include Pepcid AC and Pepcid AC Maximum Strength Tablets
Pepcid AC is used for:
Treating heartburn associated with acid indigestion and sour stomach. It is also used for preventing heartburn associated with acid indigestion and sour stomach brought on by eating or drinking certain foods and beverages.
Pepcid AC is an H2 (histamine) blocker. It works by reducing stomach acid by blocking one of the chemicals (histamine) that stimulates the release of acid into the stomach.
Do NOT use Pepcid AC if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Pepcid AC or other acid reducers (H2 blockers)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Pepcid AC :
Some medical conditions may interact with Pepcid AC . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have trouble swallowing or kidney or liver disease
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Pepcid AC . However, no specific interactions with Pepcid AC are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Pepcid AC may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Pepcid AC :
Use Pepcid AC as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Pepcid AC by mouth with or without food.
- Take Pepcid AC at least 2 hours before or after taking cephalosporins (eg, cephalexin), itraconazole, or ketoconazole.
- To relieve symptoms of heartburn, swallow 1 tablet with a glass of water.
- To prevent symptoms, swallow 1 tablet with a glass of water at any time from 10 to 60 minutes before eating food or drinking beverages that cause heartburn.
- Do not take more than 2 tablets in a 24-hour period unless directed by your health care provider.
- If you miss a dose of Pepcid AC , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Pepcid AC .
Important safety information:
- Pepcid AC may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Pepcid AC with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- If pain continues or you need to take this product for more than 14 days for heartburn symptoms, stop use and contact your doctor.
- You may need to make significant diet and lifestyle changes to help treat and prevent ulcers and other digestive problems, including stress-reduction programs, exercise, and diet changes.
- Lab tests, including liver function, kidney function, and complete blood count, may be performed while you use Pepcid AC . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Pepcid AC with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Pepcid AC should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Pepcid AC while you are pregnant. Pepcid AC is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Pepcid AC .
Possible side effects of Pepcid AC :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; headache.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); continuing stomach pain; convulsions (seizures).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Pepcid AC :
Store Pepcid AC at room temperature, between 68 and 86 degrees F (20 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Pepcid AC out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Pepcid AC , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Pepcid AC is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Pepcid AC . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Pepcid AC Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Pepcid AC Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Famotidine injection Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Famotidine Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Pepcid Consumer Overview
- Pepcid Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Pepcid Injection Prescribing Information (FDA)