Stalevo Generic Name: Carbidopa/Levodopa/Entacapone
Stalevo is used for:
Treating symptoms of Parkinson disease.
Stalevo is an antidyskinetic combination of dopamine enhancing medicines. It works by increasing the amount of dopamine in the brain. By increasing the amount of dopamine in the brain, the chemicals of the brain become more balanced and the symptoms of this disease are lessened.
Do NOT use Stalevo if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Stalevo
- you have narrow-angle glaucoma, skin growths of unknown cause, skin cancer, or a history of skin cancer
- you have taken furazolidone or certain monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Stalevo :
Some medical conditions may interact with Stalevo . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines or other substances
- if you have a history of heart problems or heart attack, blood pressure problems, lung problems (eg, asthma), kidney or liver problems, a severe muscle problem called rhabdomyolysis, or mood or mental disorders
- if you have stomach or intestinal problems (eg, ulcers) or biliary or gallbladder problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Stalevo . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Ampicillin, chloramphenicol, cholestyramine, erythromycin, probenecid, or rifampicin because side effects of Stalevo may be increased
- Furazolidone, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), selegiline, or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because serious side effects (eg, headache, very high blood pressure, abnormal heartbeat) may occur
- Apomorphine, butyrophenones (eg, haloperidol), hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), isoniazid, metoclopramide, papaverine, phenothiazines (eg, chlorpromazine), or risperidone because they may decrease Stalevo 's effectiveness
- Sympathomimetics (eg, phenylephrine) because it may increase the risk of Stalevo 's side effects
- Digoxin and iron salts (eg, ferrous sulfate) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Stalevo
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Stalevo may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Stalevo :
Use Stalevo as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Stalevo by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Swallow Stalevo whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- Take Stalevo at least 4 hours before or after taking iron salts (eg, ferrous sulfate).
- If you miss a dose of Stalevo , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Stalevo .
Important safety information:
- Stalevo may cause dizziness or lightheadedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Stalevo with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Stalevo ; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Stalevo may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Diets high in protein may prevent your body's ability to absorb Stalevo . Dietary protein should be eaten evenly throughout the day.
- Gradually increase physical activity as your symptoms improve.
- Stalevo may discolor the saliva, urine, or sweat a dark color (red, brown, or black). This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- Stalevo may cause nausea, especially when you first start to take it. Check with your doctor if nausea persists or is severe.
- Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) is a possibly fatal syndrome that can be caused by Stalevo . Symptoms may include fever; stiff muscles; confusion; abnormal thinking; fast or irregular heartbeat; and sweating. Contact your doctor at once if you have any of these symptoms.
- Some people have experienced new, unusual, or increased urges (eg, gambling, sexual urges) while using Stalevo . Tell your doctor right away if you notice such effects.
- Patients with Parkinson disease may have an increased risk of developing a certain type of skin cancer (melanoma). It is not known if Stalevo also increases the risk of melanoma. You may need to have skin exams while you are using Stalevo . Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Stalevo before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Diabetes patients - Stalevo may cause the results of some tests for urine glucose or urine ketones to be wrong. Ask your doctor before you change your diet or the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Lab tests, including complete blood cell counts and heart, liver, and kidney function tests, may be performed while you use Stalevo . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Stalevo with extreme caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Stalevo should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Stalevo while you are pregnant. It is not known if Stalevo is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Stalevo , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Stalevo :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Change in taste; constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; upset stomach.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; confusion; dark urine; depression with thoughts of suicide; fainting; fever; hallucinations; increased or irregular heart beat; lack of response to environment; mental or mood changes; muscle pain, stiffness, or rigidity; paranoia; seizures; severe or persistent diarrhea; severe or persistent dizziness; stomach pain; trouble sleeping; unusual or painful movements of the face, eyelids, mouth, tongue, arms, hands, or legs; unusual skin growths or change in the appearance of a mole; unusual sweating; vomiting; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include agitation; confusion; dark urine or trouble urinating; fast or irregular heartbeat; high blood pressure; insomnia; muscle spasms; restlessness.Proper storage of Stalevo :
Store Stalevo at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Protect from heat, moisture, and light. Keep in a tight, light-resistant container. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Stalevo out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Stalevo , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Stalevo is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Stalevo . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.