Sulfacetamide ShampooGeneric Name:
Sulfacetamide (SUL-fa-SET-a-mide)Brand Name:
Sulfacetamide Shampoo is used for:
Treating seborrhea and dandruff. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Sulfacetamide Shampoo is a sulfonamide antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria that cause seborrhea and dandruff.
Do NOT use Sulfacetamide Shampoo if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Sulfacetamide Shampoo or to another sulfonamide (eg, sulfamethoxazole)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Sulfacetamide Shampoo:
Some medical conditions may interact with Sulfacetamide Shampoo. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have cut, scraped, infected, burned, or damaged skin at the application site
- if you have a history of lupus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Sulfacetamide Shampoo. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Silver-containing products (eg, silver sulfadiazine) because they may decrease Sulfacetamide Shampoo's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Sulfacetamide Shampoo may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Sulfacetamide Shampoo:
Use Sulfacetamide Shampoo as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Sulfacetamide Shampoo is for use on the hair and scalp only.
- Shake Sulfacetamide Shampoo well before each use.
- Apply Sulfacetamide Shampoo to wet hair and massage into scalp. Rinse well.
- To clear up your condition completely, use Sulfacetamide Shampoo for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if your condition improves within a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Sulfacetamide Shampoo, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Sulfacetamide Shampoo.
Important safety information:
- Sulfacetamide Shampoo is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool water.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use more often than prescribed. If you use topical products too often, your condition may become worse.
- Do not apply Sulfacetamide Shampoo to infected or damaged skin without first checking with your doctor.
- Large amounts of Sulfacetamide Shampoo may discolor white fabrics. This discoloration can usually be removed by ordinary laundering without bleach.
- Sulfacetamide Shampoo may become slightly darker over time. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- Long-term or repeated use of Sulfacetamide Shampoo may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Sulfacetamide Shampoo may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Sulfacetamide Shampoo should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- Sulfacetamide Shampoo should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 2 months old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Sulfacetamide Shampoo while you are pregnant. It is not known if Sulfacetamide Shampoo is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Sulfacetamide Shampoo, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Sulfacetamide Shampoo:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Irritation, stinging, or burning of the skin.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); butterfly-shaped rash on the face; fever; joint pain; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; sores in the mouth.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include change in the amount of urine produced; nausea; or vomiting. Sulfacetamide Shampoo may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Sulfacetamide Shampoo:
Store Sulfacetamide Shampoo at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat and light. Protect from very high temperatures. Do not freeze. Keep Sulfacetamide Shampoo out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Sulfacetamide Shampoo, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Sulfacetamide Shampoo is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Sulfacetamide Shampoo. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.