Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom LiquidGeneric Name: Acetaminophen/Dextromethorphan/Phenylephrine
Examples include Tylenol Cold Multi-Symptom and Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom
Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid is used for:
Relieving pain, congestion, sore throat, and cough due to colds, flu, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid is an analgesic, cough suppressant, and decongestant combination. The analgesic and cough suppressant work in the brain to decrease pain and reduce the cough reflex. The decongestant works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages, which helps you breathe more easily.
Do NOT use Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid
- you have severe high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, or other severe heart problems (eg, heart blood vessel disease)
- you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of glaucoma, an enlarged prostate gland or other prostate problems, heart problems, diabetes, high blood pressure, blood vessel problems, adrenal gland problems, an overactive thyroid, seizures, stroke, liver problems (eg, hepatitis), or severe kidney problems, or if you drink more than 3 alcohol-containing drinks per day
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic cough, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or other lung problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or if your cough produces large amounts of mucus
- if you are on a low-salt (sodium) diet
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, isoniazid, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid's side effects
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), digoxin, or droxidopa because the risk of side effects such as bleeding, irregular heartbeat, or heart attack may be increased
- Bromocriptine because the risk of its side effects may be increased by Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid:
Use Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid by mouth with or without food.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid.
Important safety information:
- Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid may cause dizziness or drowsiness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not take appetite suppressants while you are taking Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid without checking with your doctor.
- Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid has acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, and phenylephrine in it. Before you start any new prescription or nonprescription medicine, check the label to see if it has acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, or phenylephrine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If sore throat does not get better within 2 days or fever does not get better within 3 days, or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- If your other symptoms do not improve within 5 to 7 days or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid may harm your liver. Your risk may be greater if you drink alcohol while you are using Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid. Talk to your doctor before you take Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid or other fever reducers if you drink more than 3 drinks with alcohol per day.
- Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Do not use Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old without checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid.
Possible side effects of Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; excitability; headache; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); dark urine or pale stools; difficulty urinating; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe or persistent loss of appetite; severe or persistent nervousness, restlessness, or trouble sleeping; tremor; stomach pain; yellowing of skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; stomach pain; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting; yellowing of skin or eyes.Proper storage of Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid:
Store Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Vicks DayQuil Multi-Symptom Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.