Vicks Formula 44 LiquidGeneric Name: Dextromethorphan
Examples include Robitussin Maximum Strength and Vicks Formula 44
Vicks Formula 44 Liquid is used for:
Temporarily relieving cough due to the common cold, hay fever, upper respiratory tract infections, sinus inflammation, sore throat, or bronchitis.
Vicks Formula 44 Liquid is a cough suppressant. It works in the cough center of the brain to reduce a dry or nonproductive cough.
Do NOT use Vicks Formula 44 Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Vicks Formula 44 Liquid
- you are taking or have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Vicks Formula 44 Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Vicks Formula 44 Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have chronic cough, chronic bronchitis, asthma, emphysema, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if cough occurs with a large amount of mucus.
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Vicks Formula 44 Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Furazolidone or MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine) because the risk of toxic side effects may be increased by Vicks Formula 44 Liquid.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Vicks Formula 44 Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Vicks Formula 44 Liquid:
Use Vicks Formula 44 Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Vicks Formula 44 Liquid may be taken with or without food. Take with food if stomach upset occurs.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Vicks Formula 44 Liquid and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Vicks Formula 44 Liquid.
Important safety information:
- Vicks Formula 44 Liquid may cause drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, or lightheadedness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Vicks Formula 44 Liquid. Using Vicks Formula 44 Liquid alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- If your cough lasts for more than 1 week or comes back, or if you also have a fever, rash, or persistent headache, contact your health care provider. A persistent cough could be a sign of a serious condition.
- Vicks Formula 44 Liquid contains dextromethorphan. Before you being taking any new prescription or nonprescription medicine, read the ingredients to see if it also contains dextromethorphan. If it does or if you are not sure, contact your health care provider or pharmacist.
- Diabetes patients - Some brands of Vicks Formula 44 Liquid may contain sugar and affect your blood sugar level. Read the label carefully before using Vicks Formula 44 Liquid.
- Vicks Formula 44 Liquid is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 2 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is unknown if Vicks Formula 44 Liquid can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant while taking Vicks Formula 44 Liquid, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Vicks Formula 44 Liquid during pregnancy. It is unknown if Vicks Formula 44 Liquid is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Vicks Formula 44 Liquid.
Possible side effects of Vicks Formula 44 Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; drowsiness; stomach upset.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; excitement; hallucinations; slowed breathing.Proper storage of Vicks Formula 44 Liquid:
Store Vicks Formula 44 Liquid between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Vicks Formula 44 Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Vicks Formula 44 Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vicks Formula 44 Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Vicks Formula 44 Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Babee Cof Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Creo-Terpin Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information