Vicks Formula 44M LiquidGeneric Name:
Acetaminophen/Chlorpheniramine/Dextromethorphan/Pseudoephedrine (a-seet-a-MIN-oh-fen/klor-fen-EER-a-meen/dex-troe-meth-OR-fan/sue-doe-eh-FED-rin)Brand Name:
Examples include Triaminic Cold/Cough/Fever and Vicks Formula 44M
Vicks Formula 44M Liquid is used for:
Relieving symptoms of pain, sinus congestion, runny nose, sneezing, and cough due to colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Vicks Formula 44M Liquid is a decongestant, antihistamine, cough suppressant and analgesic combination. The decongestant works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing. The analgesic and cough suppressant work in the brain to decrease pain and to reduce a dry or unproductive cough.
Do NOT use Vicks Formula 44M Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Vicks Formula 44M Liquid
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you are unable to urinate or are having an asthma attack
- you take sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Vicks Formula 44M Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Vicks Formula 44M Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor); heart problems; high blood pressure; diabetes; heart blood vessel problems; stroke; glaucoma; a blockage of your stomach, bladder, or intestines; ulcers; trouble urinating; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; seizures; overactive thyroid; or liver problems; or if you consume more than 3 alcohol-containing drinks per day
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic cough, lung problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Vicks Formula 44M Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), COMT inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, isoniazid, MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because side effects of Vicks Formula 44M Liquid may be increased
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), digoxin or droxidopa because risk of bleeding, irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because side effects may be increased by Vicks Formula 44M Liquid
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because effectiveness may be decreased by Vicks Formula 44M Liquid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Vicks Formula 44M Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Vicks Formula 44M Liquid:
Use Vicks Formula 44M Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Vicks Formula 44M Liquid may be taken with or without food.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Vicks Formula 44M Liquid, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Vicks Formula 44M Liquid.
Important safety information:
- Vicks Formula 44M Liquid may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Vicks Formula 44M Liquid. Using Vicks Formula 44M Liquid alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Vicks Formula 44M Liquid without checking with you doctor.
- Vicks Formula 44M Liquid contains acetaminophen and pseudoephedrine. Before you begin taking any new prescription or nonprescription medicine, read the ingredients to see if it also contains acetaminophen or pseudoephedrine. If it does or if you are uncertain, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT exceed the recommended dose or take Vicks Formula 44M Liquid for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 5 to 7 days or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Vicks Formula 44M Liquid may cause increased sensitivity to the sun. Avoid exposure to the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Vicks Formula 44M Liquid. Use a sunscreen or protective clothing if you must be outside for a prolonged period.
- Vicks Formula 44M Liquid may cause liver damage. If you consume 3 or more alcohol-containing drinks every day, ask your doctor if you should take Vicks Formula 44M Liquid or other pain relievers/fever reducers. Alcohol use combined with Vicks Formula 44M Liquid may increase your risk for liver damage.
- If you are scheduled for allergy skin testing, do not take Vicks Formula 44M Liquid for several days before the test because it may decrease your response to the skin tests.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Vicks Formula 44M Liquid.
- Use Vicks Formula 44M Liquid with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Vicks Formula 44M Liquid in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Vicks Formula 44M Liquid, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Vicks Formula 44M Liquid during pregnancy. It is unknown if Vicks Formula 44M Liquid is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Vicks Formula 44M Liquid.
Possible side effects of Vicks Formula 44M Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; stomach pain; tremor; trouble sleeping; vision changes; yellowing of skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Vicks Formula 44M Liquid:
Store Vicks Formula 44M Liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Vicks Formula 44M Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Vicks Formula 44M Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vicks Formula 44M Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Vicks Formula 44M Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vicks Formula 44M Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)