Vitatab MV Generic Name: Multivitamins with Minerals/Folic Acid
(muhl-tee-VYE-ta-mins/MIN-er-als/FOE-lik AS-id)Brand Name:
Examples include Glutofac-ZX and Vitatab MV
Vitatab MV is used for:
Treating or preventing a lack of vitamins or minerals. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Vitatab MV is a vitamin and mineral supplement. It works by producing extra vitamins, minerals, and folic acid to the body.
Do NOT use Vitatab MV if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Vitatab MV
- you have high blood calcium levels or decreased liver or kidney function
- you are taking acitretin or levodopa
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Vitatab MV :
Some medical conditions may interact with Vitatab MV . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of bowel problems (eg, bowel blockage), certain blood disorders (eg, megaloblastic anemia, pernicious anemia), high calcium levels in the urine, kidney problems, kidney stones, liver problems, peptic ulcer, sarcoidosis, or parathyroid gland problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Vitatab MV . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Acitretin, anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), or fluorouracil because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Vitatab MV
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), levodopa, mycophenolate, or penicillamine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Vitatab MV
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Vitatab MV may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Vitatab MV :
Use Vitatab MV as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Vitatab MV by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take Vitatab MV with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- If you also take a bisphosphonate (eg, alendronate), eltrombopag, a quinolone (eg, ciprofloxacin), or a tetracycline (eg, doxycycline), ask your doctor how you should take it with Vitatab MV .
- If you miss a dose of Vitatab MV , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Vitatab MV .
Important safety information:
- Do not take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- Do not take large doses of vitamins (megadoses or megavitamin therapy) while you use Vitatab MV unless your doctor tells you to.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Vitatab MV before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Vitatab MV has pyridoxine (vitamin B6) and folic acid in it. Before you start any medicine, check the label to see if it has pyridoxine or folic acid in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Vitatab MV should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Vitatab MV while you are pregnant. Vitatab MV is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Vitatab MV , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Vitatab MV :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with Vitatab MV . Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); decreased coordination; decreased sensation of touch, temperature, or vibration; numbness or tingling of the skin; severe or persistent constipation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include bone pain; confusion; dark urine; diarrhea; fever; lower back or side pain; mental or mood changes; nausea, vomiting, or stomach cramps; sluggishness; unexplained skin or mouth sores; yellowing of the skin or eyes.Proper storage of Vitatab MV :
Store Vitatab MV at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Vitatab MV out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Vitatab MV , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vitatab MV is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Vitatab MV . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Centrum Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Dolomite Natural MedFacts for Professionals (Wolters Kluwer)
- Dolomite Natural MedFacts for Consumers (Wolters Kluwer)
- Hemocyte Plus Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)